Monday, December 23, 2013

year in review

This year, I'm just having one "year end" post - no more resolutions. This was my best year of blogging: I have a job that I love, doing interesting science, and unlike in grad school, my sweetie is with me. So on to the annual end-of-year meme!

Same rules as always: link to and list the first sentence of the first post of every month. If the first sentence is an apology or an aside (bad habit, I know), then I skip that sentence and go on to the next.

January

Since it's the start of the new year, I figured I'd do some cleaning up.

February

Anne Jefferson sent out a call for posts that explain something complex using only the 1000 most commonly-used words in the English language. 

March

I graduated from college and started looking for a job during a local ebb in the job market.

April

 Ask a manager has a recent post requesting tips for young professionals attending their first conferences, and the post has a long list of good suggestions.

May

Janet Stemwedel has a new post up regarding the use of massive open online courses (MOOCs) in (replacing) university classes. 

June

I had a lively (heated?) discussion with a bunch of other geologists a while back about getting what you need from a drilling program.

July

I've been holding onto a couple of blogs that appear to be defunct, or which have officially ended.

August

When I was writing my last post about my blogiversary, I had two ways I wanted to look at this blog.

September

It's been more than a decade since I graduated from college, and I was wondering what everybody ended up doing.

October

The US government shutdown has impacted the environmental biz in a bunch of ways, some obvious and some not.

November

I have a ring that doesn't come off.

December

Logging samples involves a whole series of field tests and observations.

In case you're curious, all of my previous year-end memes are linked to last year's post. I was out last week because of holiday obligations/shenanigans, but I plan on posting somewhat regularly from here on out. Happy holidays, and have a safe new year!

1 comment:

Mike said...

Good for you declaring "No more new years resolutions". That is the only new years resolution I have ever stuck to. If you need to change something in your life, do change it. Every day is a good day to look at your life with some introspection and do a little house cleaning.

As with driving the car. If I cross the yellow line, or stray over the fog line I do a mental "whoa there". I take a mental step back and ask myself "just what are you doing wrong that you can't keep the car between the lines".