Friday, June 6, 2014

six figures!

I have just now (ok, probably sometime earlier today) gotten 100,000 pageviews! Of which about 70,000 are just me poking around old posts, either because I'm trying to find inspiration for a new post or because I'm trying to find something specific to link to.

I kid. For the last year or so, I've been able to maintain a reasonably steady pageview count, and the number goes up even if I haven't checked in for a while. So it's not just me and my (extremely small) commentariat.

I've noticed that a few of the longer-running blogs in the geoblogosphere, and those that were especially active when I first started writing, have dropped significantly in frequency or have stopped altogether in the last couple of years. So maybe I have more viewers by attrition.

Many of the geoblog aggregators I'm familiar with include blogs that are relatively inactive. Do you have any favorite websites (or blogs) that list a bunch of environmental/geology blogs that are active? I may need to poke around to add to my bloglist...

3 comments:

Lockwood said...

AllGeo, run by Chris Rowan (@HighlyAllochthonous)is good, and he does seem to add new geoblogs as they show up. My list of geoblogs on mine is woefully out of date, but don't have the gumption to update it. Also, I've noticed that the visitor count on my blog is no longer catching a lot of the visitors that Google does, so the counts displayed at the blog are quite low compared to the numbers from blogger. But I haven't figured out how (or if) I can embed that latter count.

Unknown said...

AGU has a good list of their geoblogs. http://blogs.agu.org/

Anonymous said...

I used to keep my blog relatively up-to-date though I rarely wrote about the technical side of my job for confidentiality reasons. In recent years, though, I've found that employers and contractors have become very sensitive to having uncontrolled information made public - to the point where one client requested the consultancy I worked for let NO ONE publish any photos on Facebook or anything. Not in camp, not of the field (spectacular by the way) or of the helicopter.... Of course some pictures were posted but having experienced that I suspect that a few industry blogs have cooled because the last thing you want is your blog being analysed in an iCAM investigation or even in court.